Wandering the beautifull alleys of the tiny village reveals good examples of the area’s architecture: houses built with horizontal layers of limestone interspersed with pebbles.
Apart from its famous lace and silver work, Pano Lefkara village is also well known for its architecture. It is one of the few villages in Cyprus where the houses are built almost entirely of local white stone, which contrasts beautifully with the terra cotta roofs.
Lefkara is the homeland of the island’s traditional embroidery, the Cypriot famous lace which is called “lefkaritiko”. Its reputation skidded from the boundaries of Cyprus and became known in most countries of Europe and not only.
In the late 19th century and early 20th an important period begins for Lefkara village. The local women who dealt with embroidery discovered that besides preparing the dowry of their daughters and the gasket of their homes, this was a lucrative source of wealth. The trade of embroidery gave a considerable impetus to the development of embroidery. Due to its great demand a lot of local women were induced to get involved with embroidery so it rapidly became a serious economic source for each family in the village. It also contributes decisively to the economic independence of women.
The "lefkaritiko" lace embroidery has finally reached, as a work of art, at its highest point during the period 1920-1930, when according to experts, could be counted as one amongst the best artwork of the world.
The houses here are not those of farmers but the homes of merchants and artisans. The houses are stone-built, some with doorways providing glimpses of flower-filled and vine-covered courtyards, while others are two-storey colour washed residences with balconies and intricately patterned tiled floors.
At the lowest South-East point of the village, is the famous "Pigi" (faucet). At this faucet, the “Pigi”, there is plenty of water flowing all through the year.
They began building the village around this faucet. They say that “Pigi” is the core of the first settlement of the village.
Until now the houses are built amphitheatrically around the “Pigi”.
Starting from the “Pigi” all the roads climb upwards, following the soil slopes. The roads match with the stone walls and the old cobblestone streets. Up until today the “Pigi” is used as a place for the Baptism Ceremony on January 6, the day of Epiphany.
The Silversmith's Craft
Besides embroidering that is thriving for several decades, another important craft that is flourishing is the silversmith's craft. The silversmith's craft in Lefkara village has probably appeared in the early 18th century. It flourished in the mid-20th century, thanks to the Kalopaidi family which has a long tradition in art. A great variety of rings, spoons, Church utensils, candels, Cherubim, crosses, religious Icons and many more are made. The village is widely known for its excellent workshops of crafted silver that make beautiful and unique souvenir for tourists.
School of Timiou Stavrou
It was built in 1920 on plots given by the Church of the Holy Cross and at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Committee. Its cost was approximately 4000pounds. It was named after the Church of the Holy Cross, due to the donation.
The big clock that adorns the school is a donation of an embroidery trader, Mr Loizou Loizo. Today the school houses the district Primary School of the village.
Lefkara Blooming Almond Trees
The first orchids bloom in January in Lefkara village, and by mid-February the countryside is already alive with fresh green meadows and almond trees in bloom.
The first almond trees blossom resisting the cold or the rain and decorating an almost arid land with their gorgeous pink and white flowers.
The almond trees are in full bloom - a sure sign that spring is on the way!